Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Close Those Tabs!

I know we have sent conflicting messages on the subjects of tabs and bookmarks.

On the one hand pitching the fact researchers had tested the latest version of Firefox with 1,691 tabs open at the same time - "a power user's dream" - while on the other hand posting "Hey, You at the Computer, Hoarding Links is a Mental Illness":
Step away from the keyboard, we're going to get you some help....
Well, here's the latest, from the Next Web:

Closing tabs is the only way to keep Tabagotchi alive
I’m terrible at managing my browser tabs, and I blame partly on the nature of my job, and partly on my inability to banish distractions at work.

If you’re like me, you’ve probably tried a tab management tool or two, like those that made our list.

I’m ashamed to report that I’ve thus far failed on that front – but I’m not giving up. In fact, I’m enlisting a friend to help me kick my tab addiction. Meet Tabagotchi.

Mimicking the electronic pets that took Japan – and eventually, the world – by storm in the 90s, this extension for Chrome and Opera puts a digital creature on your new tab page. The fewer tabs you have open, the happier and healthier it is.

Open too many tabs, and your Tabagotchi will get upset, fall ill and eventually die. That’s a fitting metaphor for my brain with several unread web pages, too....MORE